BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bed Bath and Beyond Goes Above and Beyond

My mom sent me a bunch of unused gift cards which I was naturally very excited about. I was especially eager to spend a $25 one at Bed Bath and Beyond in Selinsgrove.

Should I put that money towards a mandoline slicer or pasta machine or some canning supplies? I was giddy with possibilities. I decided to double check at customer service to see if indeed my mom had spent any money on the card. She had previously given me a Barnes and Noble gift card that was supposed to be unused, but only had $1.68 on it.

The sales lady ran the BBaB card through the machine and (gasp!) it told her that the card was invalid and should be discarded. She tried keying the number in by hand and again it told her to discard it. She was perplexed and I was so disappointed (all those cool kitchen gadgets staring me in the face and not a dime to buy them with). I asked her if there was a number on the card she could call just to make absolutely sure there wasn't any money on it. She ended up calling the manager and he made the call. I wandered away feeling disheartened because I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be making carrot chips with a new mandoline slicer. My daughter tried to comfort me by telling me that maybe Santa would bring me one for Christmas. (Honey, you're looking at Santa and in this economy Santa needs that $25 gift card.)

The manager tracked me down in front of the punch bowls and told me that he made a couple calls and  figured out that the card had been deactivated because it had not been used for a long time, but there was still $25 on it and that I could use it in 48 hours. Hooray!

The sales lady could have just told me I should throw the card away after she tried twice to run it, but instead she went the extra mile by calling the manager and getting him to help me. He went the extra mile by making some phone calls to try and get to the bottom of the problem. I have been in similar situations before where I could tell that the salespeople didn't care about the customer and just said there was nothing more they could do. Good job Bed Bath and Beyond, see you in 48 hours when I spend the heck out of that gift card. Two thumbs up.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Excellent job, BBB!!! That makes me want to go there for sure! Customer service is everything!

Nici said...

What can I say, Selinsgrove is the best! :)

Bridget said...

I, too, have always had excellent service at BBB. Though I will say that your experience was phenomenal.